Monday, February 18, 2013

Prep: Freezer Meals Before Baby Arrives

Two more days until my due date and it looks like this little guy is quite comfy where he is at.  Not really experiencing any early labor.  The contractions I was having a few weeks ago seem to have all but disappeared.  I had a bit of mild cramping last night and the key word there is "mild."  I thought for sure he was going to come early - at least a week before his due date.  Then I had a premonition about the number 17 so I thought he'd come yesterday.  Turns out I just have a lot of wishful thinking going on.

While we wait, I feel like I'm crawling the walls.  I don't want to go too far from home "just in case." My long walks are becoming shorter because, even with my maternity belt, my belly feels so heavy and uncomfortable and I have to pee pretty much as soon as I start walking.  We've cleaned out our DVR and are caught up on all of our shows.  I watched some terrible movies that were on TV over the weekend (Knight and Day and When In Rome - save yourself and never watch them).  I'm thinking of baking some more muffins this morning, this time pumpkin chocolate chip.  And after that I guess I'll read a book?  And do more laundry. I realize this down time will seem luxurious soon enough but still...

Over the weekend, to cope with some of this wall-crawling, I prepared 8 Slow Cooker Freezer Meals that I found over at Six Sisters' Stuff.  My mom got us a crock pot for Christmas and I knew it would come in handy once baby arrived.  The recipes that the Six Sisters blog has all sounded good, which is a rarity for me.  Usually I like a couple of recipes when they come listed in large batches but this was different.  We're talking French Dip Sandwiches and Beef Stew and Chicken Alfredo, to name a few.  Also, this list is great because not only does it have the recipes but it has a shopping list to make all the recipes too.  So hubby and I went on an epic grocery store trip and then I prepared these meals all afternoon.

Sexy freezer shot. 8 bags of meals, waffles, hoagie rolls for
French Dip Sandwiches plus a frozen pizza and Bagel Bites.
Now you know how I roll.
Their blog says it takes only one hour to prepare these meals but it took me two hours.  I cleaned up between each meal prep because I don't have a ton of room or a ton of utensils that I could've used prepping each meal.  So that probably contributed to the extra time.  I was also on the phone, hearing about my cousin's wedding in Florida that happened over the weekend, which I obviously could not make it too.  So the chatting probably contributed to the extra time as well!  But I think it will all be worth it when I can just throw a meal in a pot and have it ready to go without thinking about it!  It looks like each meal will serve at least four people, which will be great when my family is visiting and it will also be great for leftovers when it's just our little family of three here.

I also made a large batch of waffles and grilled up some burgers and threw them in the freezer.  Now there are a hearty breakfast and lunch choices to choose from too.

Murphy's Law is in play here, no doubt.  The more prepared I get, the more likely this kid is going to want to stay in my womb forever...

Maybe I should slack off on the laundry today.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed with you! I know you can't be comfortable right now, but you were cooking up a storm! Come on, baby Scheuerman!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome!! You are SO ready! Another great thing that I did for a friend who delivered recently was to set up a meal delivery schedule! There are several sites online (I used take them a meal dot com) that make it so easy for friends to sign up for various meal slots. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...