Monday, October 22, 2012

To get a Flu Shot or not to get a Flu Shot (that is the question)

Alright mamas and health-knowledgeable folks...I'm not sure what to do.

I've never gotten a flu shot before.  Ever.  I know that when the flu shot came around, a lot of people said, "Sign me up!" and they have been getting one regularly ever since.  But not me.  I already talked about my history with drugs and for me the vaccine just never seemed to be a priority.  I'm diligent about washing my hands, I take vitamins, drink OJ nearly every morning, work out, tend to get enough rest and have always felt that if I do these things, then my probability of getting the flu is low.  Of course, I've gotten the flu, even while taking all these measures.  But you tough it out a few days and worry that your brain is boiling from the fever while your husband laughs because your fever is nowhere high enough to be damaging and then you come out the other side.

But I've never been pregnant before.  And this isn't just me that I'm worried about anymore.

When my doctor asked me at our last check-up if I had gotten my flu shot yet I was a little surprised.  "No, never got one before," was my answer.  She then explained that they highly recommend their pregnant patients to get one because the flu can be much more serious when you're pregnant.  I still was hesitant though.  There are a few reasons why.  First - my husband is actually allergic to the flu shot.  He was tested for allergies recently and that was the one thing that showed up as a problem.  And the little person inside of me is part of my husband.  So I worry (not based on any sort of science) that his allergic-dispositions were passed on to our baby.  Could that be a problem?  Could my baby also be allergic? Another reason is that my husband's grandfather actually had a near fatal reaction to getting a flu shot.  So there you go again - the genetics game.  And finally, I kind of look at the flu shot like a fad (again, not based on science, just a feeling).  It's not like it's been around that long.  Millions, heck, billions of women have gone through pregnancy before without getting vaccinated.  So why all of a sudden do I need to?  Just because it exists?  I'm skeptical.

My doctor understood my concerns and gave me a pamphlet with information about why the flu shot is important.  She also mentioned that in 2010 there was a flu epidemic here that had several of her patients hospitalized with the flu, some in ICU, so ever since then they have been more diligent about recommending the vaccine.  She said I could do more research and they could give me the shot at my next appointment if I decided I wanted it.

So I've been researching and asking around.  My friend Yuni who had the twins last year in March (during flu season) did get the flu shot when she was pregnant.  Her husband was insistent about it.  He wanted to make sure all of his girls were protected.  It seems like getting a flu shot is pretty routine for a lot of my friends - as in they just get one every year, just in case.  The CDC has an article with the title, "Pregnant Women Need a Flu Shot!".  Exclamation point.  NOT added by me.  They say that due to our decreased immune system and changes in our hearts and lungs, the flu can affect us more severely and lead to complications, birth defects or preterm death for our babies.  If that doesn't scare me....well, no point in finishing that thought because it DOES scare me.  Also, Baby Boy Scheuerman is due to be born during the height of flu season and even if I do manage to avoid getting sick during my pregnancy, who's to say someone that comes to visit after he arrives doesn't bring germs in that could make him sick?  They say on the CDC website and in the pamphlet that my doctor gave me that getting the vaccine now can protect my baby up to six months after he is born.

All of this is making a good argument for getting the flu shot.  But I do have my concerns that I already went over so I feel like I'm on a seesaw at recess.  Back and forth, back and forth.  To get the flu shot or not.  Right now it seems like the reward to getting it outweighs the risk.  There also is the factor that I volunteer weekly reading to third graders, so I am around young children who like to give me hugs.  And we all know elementary-age kids can carry a lot of germs.

So what are your thoughts??  I'd really like to hear where you stand on the flu-shot-debate that is going on in my head.  Leave a comment and let me know!  And then I'll let you all know which side of the seesaw I end up on...

4 comments:

  1. Yay! So excited to follow along in a new space!

    OK, so down to business...I say to get the flu shot. As far as your husband's allergies and his grandfather's reaction, I'd think that the baby would be OK, because regardless of the paternal predisposition, his little body is getting flooded with YOUR antibodies (and thus, your body's protection). I think you're also tougher than me, because I was hospitalized for the flu in college and got the shot every year since without looking back. One thing that I think is crucial, and not stressed enough, though, is that you need to be healthy when you get it. Like, not sick for the past 10 days, no sore throat, no ongoing infection, etc. Even though it's a killed vaccine (meaning all the little particles going into you are not inherently active), your body still has to mount an immune response. The reason that some people feel like the flu shot made them sick is because they were probably already fighting something off before adding the flu shot into the mix.

    So, I say it's better for you to stay healthy and hence, the baby to stay healthy as well. If you're not feeling sick, I say go ahead and get it. You can also ask one of the RNs at Rite Aid or CVS for advice, if you don't want to ask your doctor again. Usually, they're pretty good about answering questions, so you can tell them that you're a first timer and not sure if you should do it. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Red! I was hoping you'd weigh in - thought you might have some interesting insight! And, of course, you do :) Thanks for your thoughts! They help a lot. What do you think of the flu shot without mercury? A friend wrote on FB and said that that is available and is what his wife got when she was pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that the flu mist one (the nasal spray, as opposed to the shot)? The only thing that I know definitively is that you might have a bit more of a reaction to the flu mist, because the mist is live (very weakened) and the shot is killed. As far as I know, though, the only reaction to thimersal (the preservative that is mercury-based) is related to an egg allergy. There's not nearly enough mercury to cause you any damage (less than what would be in wild caught fish) and I'm not on board with the claims that autism is related to thimersal. I don't know what causes autism, but I don't think it's vaccines. (I don't know if that helps at all, but hopefully it does!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How are you doing Meagan? I understand you are hesitant about getting the flu shots because of your genetic history. But I think you and your baby (after birth) should have them to prevent anything worse. The flu and many other illnesses’ effects have gotten worse through the years so it’s better not to risk and prevent acquiring them.

    Juliana Vanslyke

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...