Friday, September 13, 2013

Friday Reflections: Weekly Round-Up

I feel like I need to keep a notebook on my person at all times. The problem is, when I have the urge to write, I'm usually walking...which isn't necessarily conducive to jotting things down. (Also, yes, notebook.  I'm an old-school-pencil-to-paper kind of gal.)

***

Owen and I have been going on daily morning walks.  They give him a change of scenery and they give me a chance to meander in my thoughts.  I write posts in my head on these walks. And then an entire week goes by and I haven't posted. Even though I've been writing in my head. And my "back-to-school" mentality of being more dedicated to this blog has already hit a snag. Wah-wah.

My view on our walks.
This week was a little busier than normal.  It started on Sunday when I got to participate in a read-through of an original play written by my friend Lynn.  She's been working on it, off and on, for three years now and I've been with her from the beginning - doing read-throughs, giving feedback, and loving being a part of her process.  And it's finally ready to go into production!  She's looking to put it up in November and I'll definitely keep you posted as it gets on it's feet.  It's a beautiful, emotional, uplifting piece about celebrating our todays.  Here's a behind the scenes look at Sunday's read-through:

Photo credit: Lynn Downey Braswell
Then Monday came and I had a commercial audition.  Tuesday morning came and Dan left for a business trip. Tuesday afternoon came and we went to mommy and me yoga and then had lunch with an old friend.
Baby on the loose.
Tuesday night came and I had a casting workshop to attend with the casting director of one of my favorite sitcoms (shout out to my friend John who babysat Owen while I went to that). Wednesday came and I had a callback from the audition I had on Monday (shout out to my friend Reid for watching Owen while I did that.  I have some pretty great friends). Speaking of, then I had lunch plans with Lynn for her birthday.

Birthday girl/Playwright
Thursday came and it was baby yoga time again, this time with a few other mommy friends, then my sister came over to hang out, then Dan's flight got delayed SIX HOURS and he didn't get back until the middle of the night and now it's Friday morning. And I most definitely won't finish writing this post until the afternoon and hopefully will get to publish it before the evening*.

And that was the week!  With Dan out of town, I thought I would use the evenings by myself to write and maybe even do a little painting...but instead I was exhausted.  The days were full, Owen is a handful crawling around and pulling up on everything without having any concept of falling, so I'm constantly spotting him, and when he went to bed I'd finally get to shower and then just...SIT.  That is all I wanted to do.  Sit and veg out and go to bed early. 

Forget writing.  Forget being creative. Resting is all I wanted to do.  That's the balance I'm struggling to find these days.  Taking time to refuel is something I'd like to do but hasn't been my priority.  And I think that's probably a mistake.  But I'll get there...right?  I guess that's the perpetual struggle we face, whether we are moms or not.  Finding that balance between the to-dos and the want-tos.

(*And now it's evening.  And the house is quiet.  And I still need to shower.  But I'm posting this first.  So take that, to-dos.  Personal hygiene can wait just a minute!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...