Thursday, November 15, 2012

Baby Kick Wives' Tales: True or False?

Close up of his feet at 20 week ultrasound.
They look huge to us but the doctor said
that they are normal-sized. Mmhmm.
Little one was having a party in my belly last night.  He always seems to get a little more active after I eat strawberries - one of my favorite night time snacks - but it's weird to me because I eat them and like ten minutes later, kick-kick-kickety-kick.  I would think if he's responding to the sugar in the fruit, then it would take a little longer for that to get to him.  But I'm no doctor (just hopin' to play one on TV).  Last night I could feel him roll, kick, punch and doing jumping jacks, it seemed.  After awhile I pulled up my shirt and started to watch the show.  It is definitely a weird sensation to see my belly jump as I feel him moving from the inside.

I'm 26 weeks along now but have been feeling him kick since very early on.  I mentioned to my doctor at my 16 week check up that I thought I could feel him moving.  And she said, "It's a little early but you should start feeling him in the next few weeks or so."  And then I explained, "Well, it feels like little flicks from the inside every once in awhile."  And she said, "Hmm, that sounds about right."  The week before we were in Big Sur and had just finished a two-mile hike when I felt a flick-flick-flick, all in a row along the left side of my belly.  I had felt a little flick or two before that that I had wondered if it could be the baby but I couldn't be sure.  The movement after the hike was distinct though and I was pretty certain that was the baby moving and not any other internal happenings.  Having my doctor say the following week that that sounded right confirmed it for me.

I bring this up because I'm curious about other mothers' experiences.  My mother-in-law says that her two boys were very different in the womb and that their level of activity was really reflected in their personalities once they were born.  Has anyone else noticed that with their kids?  Like, did you have a super active kicker that ended up being a little active baby?  Or did you have a super active kicker that ended up being a laid back and docile child?  Or the opposite!  Did you have a baby in the belly that was chill who ended up being a little spitfire once they debuted?  If level of activity in utero indicates the child's personality, then I've got my hands full once this baby comes into the world!

I want to hear all about it!  Leave a comment and let me know:  Is this an old wives' tale that holds up?  Or should I kick it to the curb? 

(sorry. I couldn't resist. hashtag: funwithpuns)

2 comments:

  1. That little baby foot is soooo cute! I think 20 weeks is the gauge that most doctors use, but you're thin and active, so it makes sense that you felt something before that. (So cool!) I've also heard of people not feeling anything, because the placenta is at the front of their uterus, so it's like padding against baby kicks. No idea about the level of internal activity relating to baby's temperment, but maybe you'll have a strawberry lover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting how some women feel kicks sooner than others and some not at all. I have two friends that are due a month after me and haven't felt anything yet, so it definitely is varied! I'm wondering if/when we'll be able to see the outline of a foot or other body part from the outside...that will be really crazy.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...