Friday, November 30, 2012

A Smorgasbord: Adorableness, Squished Bladders & Massages

The life of an actor is just getting cuter.  So I've been auditioning for a commercial this week.  Well, the first call was two weeks ago and callbacks were this week.  I was pretty excited to get a callback and then even more excited when I got a second callback for the spot today.  Why was I so excited?  Well, yes, because it would be great to book a job.  But also because I would play the mom of a toddler in the spot and today was the day when they were bringing in all the kids.  Oh. My. Gosh. Guys.  The kids were so cute!!  And they were all little boys, which just made me even more excited to meet my little boy in a few months.  Seriously, there was a cute-spolsion occurring in this casting office today and I was happy to be a part of it.

So my morning was spent with adorable toddlers and now I'm home, already in my sweats, because it's raining out and getting cozy felt like the right thing to do.  Sure, I have some errands to run but they might just have to wait.  I've got rain tap-tap-tapping on the window, Christmas songs playing, the Christmas tree lighting up the grey day and I'm contemplating making some chocolate chip cookies.  'Tis the season for cookies!

We started our childbirth classes last night.  We are doing a four-week series, where each class meets for 2 1/2 hours.  There are nine couples and we're all expecting in either late January or February, so it was interesting meeting everyone and seeing how different we all seem to be even though we are expecting around the same time.  One woman is due in late January and she is ready to be done.  Uncomfortable and big and swearing this is the first and last child.  Another woman, who is also expecting in late January, looks smaller than me.  And I get, "You're seven months?? No way!" all the time. That same woman said that she was bedridden for the first two months of her pregnancy.  Just miserably sick.  I am so glad I was spared sickness in the beginning!

The class focuses on preparing you for childbirth and yesterday we went over the different stages of labor and what physically is happening to both the mother's body and with the baby.  It was really fascinating.  I think I was most surprised by how squished the bladder becomes once the baby drops down a few weeks before delivery.  Dear goodness.  The only thing positive about a bladder that squished is that the baby will be arriving soon!  That's what I'll be repeating to myself when I basically have to move into the bathroom later in this pregnancy.  And I thought I pretty much lived there now! We also watched a video that covered the different stages of labor. It followed four different couples as they labored and then they were interviewed post-partum.  I'm surprised - really surprised - that the graphic videos of the actual birth process aren't freaking me out more.  I could hear quite a few squeals of discomfort from some of our classmates as we watched but I felt oddly calm watching the babies be born.  I always figured I'd be pretty squeamish when I saw videos like this so I've pretty much avoided them.  But...it's not as bad as I've made it out in my head.

This class is also a lamaze class so we learned a few different breathing techniques last night but my favorite part was when our support partners (aka, for me, my husband) were taught how to properly massage our legs and feet while we're laboring to help us relax.  When I'm in that much pain, I'm not sure if I'm going to want anyone touching me, but last night?  It was quite a lovely treat!  I am treating myself to a prenatal massage for Christmas and if I was excited before, I'm leaping with anticipation now.  I don't realize how sore and in need of a massage I am until one happens. I noticed this the other night too when my back was hurting and my husband rubbed it to help ease the pain.  I think I need to make my appointment asap.  Any LA mamas have a recommendation on where to go?  I usually go to Ole Henriksen for spa treatments and they offer a prenatal massage so I was thinking of going there.  But I'm very open to suggestions!

Hope you all enjoy your weekend!  Can you believe tomorrow is December??


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...