Thursday, January 24, 2013

Full on "Nesting" mode: A Cleaning Tip!

Yesterday I spent two and a half hours thoroughly scrubbing and cleaning and de-junking and reorganizing our tiny kitchen.  I'm talking taking-the-burners-off-and-scrubbing-the-gas-residue-until-it-looks-like-we-have-new-appliances kind of cleaning.  A tip I read on Pinterest that really helped with all of the grease and grime:
 Combine hydrogen peroxide and baking soda until it forms a paste.

I spread the mixture onto the burner plates and let it sit while I worked on other things in the kitchen and then scrubbed off months of grease with a damp sponge.  Not too wet though because the friction of the paste doesn't work as well when diluted.  I used the paste all over the kitchen to remove grime:  the oven, stove, sink, walls, cabinets.  And the best part is that there's no overwhelming odor of toxic fumes while you clean!  There is a slight white residue that is left behind after you get rid of all of the hard-to-clean stuff, so just use another damp sponge to rinse it away.

I read about this cleaning tip as a way to de-grease your cookie sheets and make them look brand new again.  But the combo works everywhere.  As my husband was doing the dishes last night (yes, he does the dishes - how lucky am I?) he said jokingly, "I see you installed a new sink."  That's how clean my kitchen looks now.  Will definitely be using this cleaning trick again!

And yes, I realize I am displaying classic "nesting" behavior.  Planning tomorrow on doing a great reorganization of my ottoman that houses all of my old headshots, scripts, office supplies, junk, etc.  Time to throw out a bunch of stuff, create room for new stuff and feel a little less disheveled.  It's a project I've wanted to do for awhile now and if I don't this week...who knows when I'll get the chance!  Certainly not after baby arrives...at least not for a long while.  Also, I think it's a productive way to deal with this nervous energy I've got going on.  I'm starting to get anxious/excited/nervous about delivery.  It's the whole "fear of the unknown" syndrome, I guess.  After all my researching, reading, watching documentaries and going to classes, I feel like I'm well-educated on labor and delivery.  But it's in an abstract way.  Like reading about and seeing pictures and learning the language of a foreign country of a place you've always wanted to visit.  Until you're physically there, you can't really experience it or know what it's like - the energy, the feeling, the emotion.  And the anticipation of your visit can be nervewracking!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you’re right. This combo works everywhere. It’s crazy but pretty convenient. ;D It makes cleaning less tiring, ‘cos I know you’ve had this feeling of rejuvenation whenever you see the dirt, stains and grimes slowly peeling off from whatever surface. What happened to the furniture rearrangement, anyway? -->Guy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...