Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hurricane Sandy and Pregnancy Hormones

Man...

I started sharing this blog with the world last week, with ambitious plans of doing one blog per weekday each week.  You know, writing consistently.  And on Monday morning I started writing my first post of the week but ran out of time to finish before I was off to volunteer at the local elementary school where I read to third graders each week.  Figured, no big deal, I'll wrap it up when I get home and then post...

When I got home, our Internet was out. And it stayed out until around 10:00 this morning (it's Wednesday).

We're on the west coast!  A major storm uprooted lives across the country and we had nothing but blue skies and sunshine...but for some reason, our Internet no longer worked.

Hence the delay.  But now I'm back.

Speaking of Hurricane Sandy, I was glued to the TV and Twitter (on my phone since my computer was useless) during it's approach and landing.  My sister lives in NYC and when I finished reading to the kids on Monday, I checked my phone and had a text from her.  It was a group text to our parents, brother and sister-in-law and it said, "They are turning off our power soon.  Will try to send texts when I can. Love you all!"  I read that and then I burst into tears.

Hoboken PATH Station. I used to be there nearly every night.
Listen, we're Florida girls.  We know how to prepare for a hurricane.  So I wasn't too worried about her being properly stocked and protected.  But the idea of not being able to talk to her and hear how it was going where she was, frightened me.  And the pregnancy hormones took over.  Not to mention, her office is in Zone A, which was under mandatory evacuation.  Her apartment is in Zone B...BUT...she lives literally two blocks from where she works.  So it was all a little too close for comfort.  When I heard about the facade being torn off the building in Chelsea, up the street from where she lives, I got more worried.  When I saw the pictures of water pouring out of the elevator at the Hoboken PATH Station - where I used to take the train regularly when I lived in Jersey City - I got more upset.  When I heard about the generator failure at the NYU Hospital and how the NICU babies were being transported down nine flights of dark stairs, with nurses manually pumping oxygen with their hands to keep the babies alive, I thought I'd pass out from sympathy for those babies and their families as I contemplated the nightmare of it.

Visiting my sister in July. Got to tell her in person she was
going to be an aunt.  I'm 8 weeks pregnant here!
I am very happy to report, however, that my sister is doing fine.  She lost power and heard some scary things throughout the night - wind howling, sirens blaring, people screaming - but all is well.  She is staying with a friend near Central Park, who never lost power, until everything is back to normal.

Seriously though...the generator failure at NYU Hospital.  That. Is. My. Nightmare.  I am so, so thankful that everyone was able to be transported safely to another hospital and commend the medical staff and volunteers for their ability to make that happen.  But...wow.  I can't put into words how much that situation terrified me.  And I'm not sure I would have been able to appreciate the magnitude of it if I wasn't currently pregnant.

I am so thankful that my family and friends made it through the storm but I know there is a long road to recovery.  If you are able to help, please visit the American Red Cross and make a donation.  Every little bit helps.

2 comments:

  1. Aww! Glad K is safe and sound! I just about flipped my shit when I saw what was happening at NYU. Basically, that is NOT supposed to happen--under ANY circumstances--at a university hospital. Especially at a HUGE, URBAN university hospital. I guess their generators failed or something, but I honestly didn't even think it was possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely crazy. Piers Morgan had a representative from NYU on his show the other night and kept really pressing him about that, "HOW could a generator fail?" The guy was like, "I'm not an engineer but I can tell you our medical staff was amazing at making sure everyone was safely transported." But...yeah...still too scary and insane.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...