Friday, April 19, 2013

Celebrate the Good

It's been a heart heavy week.  It's unbelievable that Monday's bombing was just the first of several devastating tragedies to rock our country.  Then came the Senate's blatant refusal to represent the people who elected them as they struck down the gun bill.  Then came the explosion in West, TX, an entire town rocked.  Then came the massive manhunt for the bombers in Boston that started last night and continues as I type this.

Heart heavy.

In response to the entire city of Boston being on lockdown this morning, Kelly Oxford tweeted, "This week has been so shitty. Hearts out to those directly affected by everything. Can we all be on lockdown today? In our beds?"

I feel you.  I locked myself down Monday afternoon and all day Tuesday.  Lately, Owen has fallen into the habit of falling asleep on me immediately after eating. Early this week, instead of putting him down so I could get a few things done, I sat with him.  And just held him.  Sometimes dozing off myself but always feeling grateful that I could hold him close.


I was thinking of Martin Richard.  I couldn't stop thinking about that sweet boy and so I held my boy closer.  I was thinking about Krystle Campbell and Lingzi Lu.  I thought about how my parents would feel if my name took the place of one of theirs.  I never fully grasped how much my parents loved me until I became a parent myself.  My heart aches for all of their families and loved ones.  And for those injured, physically and emotionally by the day's events.

Nope.  I wasn't putting my boy down earlier this week. Everything else could wait.

Owen's at the stage in his life where he's starting to really notice things.  The Wonder Weeks describes it as going from seeing the world as a bowl of soup where everything blends together to noticing that things are separate.  For example, he notices that he has hands or that there is a toy dangling above his head as he lays on his play mat.  It's fascinating to watch him make new discoveries as he finally "sees" the world.

And the world is a scary place.  Especially this week.  I want to protect him from all of the sadness and I know that is impossible.  He's a part of the world now and all that entails.  But where there is darkness, there is also light.  In response to the way the news is reported in the media - all doom and gloom - my husband always says, "I've got 'news' for you:  The world is 95% good."  This week he decided to change the percentage.  Now he says, "The world is 99% good."  He upped the percentage. Because any time there's a tragedy like this week's bombing there is an immediate retaliation of hope.  People show us just how good they can be.  There were countless stories of the bravery of the first responders and the kindness of strangers, offering a place to stay or the coat off their back to cold runners or even just a hand to hold as they passed by.  So I agree with my husband.  The world is 99% good.  And that's what I'll remind Owen of as inevitable tough conversations arise in the future.

There was a quote from Mr. Rogers that made the rounds on social media after Monday that has a similar sentiment:


As we go into the weekend, uncertain of how all will play out, I celebrate the helpers.

And hold the ones I love tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...